Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

How To Deal With Being A Hipster


How To Deal With Being A Hipster.

Ladies and Gents, meet Ryan McFarland. Earlier this year he took the House Teams by storm with his award-winning (literally) scene “Oh. Hey, bird.” Once I saw that scene, I thought “Who is this kid?? And why is he so HIP!?”

Well, he’s hip because he’s a hipster. He wears glasses and skinny jeans and plaid shirts. He’s got giant headphones and I’m sure if I looked hard enough I’d find a messenger bag there somewhere. I don’t know what it is about ol’ McFarls… but he’s an enjoyable boy. He’s nice to people and he’s not a dick like a lot of improvisers (myself and the various troupes I’m a part of included) so when we celebrated his 21st birthday in style – I knew he had it made.

Except for well, that hipster thing. I said, “Hey hipster” and he freaked out. He doesn’t think he’s a hipster. But he thinks I’m a hipster, too! Why?

“Look at your shoes! You wear glasses! You write plays! You’re a playwright! Playwrights are hipsters!”

Are we though?

Let’s take a look. Do I own a pair of skinny jeans? Maybe. Do I own “hip” clothing? Maybe… Do I wear black-rimmed glasses? Yes. And green-rimmed glasses, too. Fuck. But! But! The whole hipster-trend is about music, and liking hip and obscure music… me? No way. I mean, ask anyone – my iPod has songs from musicals and Jason Mraz and Britney Spears. I don’t fit in with hipsters. Evan thinks I’m more of a “trendster” or something. I follow fashion trends. That I can live with.
I don’t fit the definition. Which, according to Wikipedia is:
Hipster is a slang term which appeared in the 1940s. In the 1990s and 2000s it was used in various, sometimes contradictory ways, often to describe types of young, recently-settled urban middle class adults and older teenagers with interests in non-mainstream fashion and culture, particularly alternative music, independent rock, independent film, magazines such as Vice, and Clash, and websites like Pitchfork Media.[1] In some contexts, hipsters are also referred to as scenesters.[2

So there we have it! I love main stream. I am not a hipster. Whattup, Ryan the hipster!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails