Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Generate Light; Not Heat

I’m pretty sure I am not the only one who is exhausted by the news and social media feeds lately.  Just this morning in Massachusetts news, there were three fires, an officer-involved shooting and an 80-year-old man who was brutally beaten for no reason in his neighborhood.  And that’s just on top of all the Trump-related nonsense which makes me want to throw myself into the garbage and call it a life.

I came across a quote the other day, in the notes of a workshop that I co-wrote so I probably should have seen it before, that said, “Generate light; not heat.”  It hit me fast and it hit me hard.  How nice does that sound?  Sure, the quote was pertaining to relationships with difficult people but isn’t our relationship with the world/United States of America the most difficult one of all right now???? 

How can we generate more light instead of heat?

I don’t know the answer for everyone.  And you probably shouldn’t listen to me anyways because I just choked on everything bagel seasoning.  How does one choke on a seasoning blend?  Good question.  Welcome to me.  

But I’m attempting to generate more light by being myself, and not giving a shit what anyone has to say about it.  I don’t have much, but I do have an ability to craft jokes that make people laugh. We all need to laugh more.  So I’m going to do the best that I can to bring as much humor as I can to every situation! Even the uncomfortable ones.  ESPECIALLY the uncomfortable ones. 

I’m praising others whenever I get the opportunity to combat the trolls of the universe.  This means telling people how much I like their outfits even if I don’t know them, commenting positive thoughts on blog posts that I read, responding to people’s Instagram stories in agreement or praise and having more positive conversations than negative ones.  (Meaning, instead of starting a conversation at work with, “You know what I hate? Outlook!” I’m going to say, “You know what I love? Cheese.”) (Or something like that.) (Probably that though.)

I’m raising my endorphins.  I’m working out, going to barre classes, walking more, listening to lots of high-energy music and dancing in my living room to disco music. Just kidding! (I’m not kidding.)  Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy!  Happy people just don't kill their husbands.  (Thanks Reese Witherspoon.) 

I’m signing out of my social channels when I need a break and putting my phone on airplane mode for a few hours a day so I can get work done without distraction. 

I’m choosing to not complain.  If traffic sucks, oh well. If I had a stressful day, then guess what? It’s over.  If the air conditioner on the shuttle is leaking on me, and only me, and it's too crowded to do anything about it but my butt is soaking wet... OH WELL.  Sit in that still water, Patty!  Nothing puts me more on edge or sucks energy straight out of the room than someone entering with a complaint… so I refuse to participate.  Even if it means I have to wait TWO weeks for a new episode of Younger.  TWO. WEEKS.

I’m watching happy things, listening to happy things (which to me is a great murder podcast) and focusing on GOOD SHIT. 

Everything is crazy right now and we’re living in a dumpster fire.  But there are good things going on in the world.  People are doing the best that they can and making a difference.  It all seems so overwhelming and scary and I can’t stop feeling like hiding because I just don’t even know where to begin.  So, this is where I’m beginning. 

I’m going to generate light; not heat.


And I guess I should probably do laundry too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails