Pages

Monday, August 31, 2020

Things to Love on a Monday: Conan, calluses + zucchini fritters.... ?

I'm not going to lie, friends. This week's offering is all over the place. Last week was a strange week. It feels like the month of August was a real downer for everyone. There are a lot of sad vibes going around, ESPECIALLY in the country. It's a total mess.

Even my pets were feeling weird, which I'm assuming is why they clearly banded together to try and kill me. (See above.)

So... yeah. I have nothing to give you this week, except an extremely random list of things I liked and learned last week.

LISTEN: Conan O’Brien Needs A Friend with Michael Che 

Monday is my favorite day because it’s Conan podcast episode day. I generally enjoy every guest, but even if I didn’t I would still listen because the rapport between Conan, Sona, and Matt is such fun. But this was a particularly good episode. 


I really liked Michael Che, but I’m suggesting this for the very end of the episode. 


Conan reads excerpts from Fifty Shades of Grey to prove that his voice is “an immediate boner killer”. I just about died. Listen now!!!


READ: Settle in for this one. It’s a wild ride. 


Did you know inmates are on the frontlines of fighting California’s wildfires? Well, they were! But due to the early release of some criminals due to COVID-19, there is a significant staffing shortage. So the wildfires are harder to put out than ever… which isn’t good. 


BUT ALSO, while I think it’s great that the program was created to help the prisoners learn a new trade and do something good, it’s also terrible that they get paid VERY little and they’re unable to use that trade after their release due to their criminal backgrounds. That whole article had me like WTF???? 


Also, how you can help Jacob Blake and his family. I keep coming back to this Tupac interview, where he explains how it feels to still be asking for equality/equity/justice. “If I know in this hotel room they have food every day... They open the door and let me see the party, but they’re telling me there’s no food here… we asked yeaars ago… those people that were asking are all dead or in jail… so now what do you think we’re gonna do?” And that was over twenty years ago. 


It is beyond the point of peaceful compliance because nothing else has worked for hundreds of years. How dare we deny that systemic injustice exists in this country? Beyond that, how dare we deny how human beings feel just because we have never shared their experience? 


My heart and my stomach are in a constant knot.


EAT: IN OTHER NEWS, I made these zucchini fritters this week, except without bacon because I didn’t have any. They were/are delicious, and easy, and healthy! I also made them in my air fryer because the air fryer is God’s gift to us. I also topped them with chipotle mayo and Everything But The Elote seasoning from Trader Joe’s. All in all, it was the highlight of my week. Which is pretty sad. 


BUY: This callus remover. I’ve given up getting pedicures (because my nails cost $60 now…) and this is a MIRACLE WORKER. It says to wear gloves while putting it on, which scares me a little because IF it shouldn’t touch your skin… then why are we putting it on our skin? But hey, it worked, so I’d rather have good-looking feet than alive ones.

And on that note, I say goodbye. And may the beginning of September bring us good cheer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails