Pages

Monday, September 7, 2020

Things to Love on a Monday: A Popular Book You Shouldn't Read, Disney + Fluff



Happy Monday! Happy Labor Day! Is that something people say?


Right now, I’m sitting in my bed with a heating pad on my neck because of a weekend WELL LIVED. Just kidding, I stretched weird when I woke up.


Here’s what I’ve got for today:


DON’T READ: I’m Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid. Some of the reviews I read said that it was an incredible page-turner, which sounded exciting. I will admit I turned the pages quite swiftly since I read the book in less than 24 hours. BUT… part of that is because I was so confused. I thought the next page would have more clarifying information, but nope. Each page was more confusing than the last.


It was a bit TOO thriller-y for me (aka scary), and the ending was confusing AF. Afterward, I read more reviews and people were VERY split. Basically, I liked it… until the end where it got weird and scary and confusing. I even had to Google an explanation of the book. Mmm, maybe I’m just too stupid.


Apparently, it came out on Netflix this weekend, and I will not be watching. But take my review with a grain of salt because my favorite book I read this year was a poorly written memoir by a former FLDS cult member.


WATCH: The Imagineering Story on Disney+.


Embarrassing fact: Before social media was big, I was a frequent commenter on Walt Disney World forums. I’d log into AOL and surf the web for the latest Disney news, comment on my favorite movies, share reviews for rides. I was probably way too old to be doing that, but then again I was a pre-teen and most of the people on those message boards were grandparents. Disney has such a weird following.


This 6-part series was really interesting and covered a lot of history of the company, but also provided a huge insight into what goes into the rides/parks/etc. Imagineers are amazing. The amount of thought and strategy that goes into every little detail is unreal. It’s super inspiring.


DO: Gratitude journaling.


I’m taking a class at Yale because I am a very smart person… who stumbled upon a free class on Coursera called The Science of Well-Being. If you’re interested in happiness, I suggest you take it! As a lifelong depressed person, I’d give it 5 out of 5 stars!


The assignments each week are called “rewirements”, which are activities to help you rewire your brain. One of them is gratitude journaling. So, for about two months now I have been starting my day by writing three things I’m grateful for. I’ve noticed that I hardly ever write only three, and I think of new things all throughout the day. When I’m having a tough time, I remind myself of the things I wrote down that morning and look around for something to be grateful for in that moment.


So yeah, it’s cheesy. But it has been an incredible tool for me during this insane year.


EAT: My fool-proof recipe for a nutritious, nostalgic snack is one Granny Smith apple, 1 tbsp of peanut butter (bonus points if it’s Teddie) and 1 tbsp of Fluff.


Fluff sends me straight back to elementary school. Also, it’s made locally in Somerville. There is even a virtual Fluff festival this year!


SIGN UP FOR: The Newsette + Girls Night In. The first is a daily newsletter, the former is a weekly one (on Fridays). They’re both joys to read and I learn a lot from them every single day. There is a good mix of reality with doses of fun, which frankly is how I prefer my news.


My mantra: Tell me what I need to know, then show me a puppy doing something cute.


Hey… have a good day. Enjoy your day off.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails